These days, divorces happen for a variety of reasons. First marriages end in divorce approximately 41% of the time, and second marriages dissolve at least 60% of the time. Most commonly, couples fight over communication and financial issues, but other causes can include adultery, abuse, and sometimes a loss of interest by one or both partners.
The decision to get a divorce can be a difficult one to make, and sometimes figuring out how to find a divorce lawyer can be challenging enough. However, there are steps that you and your spouse can take to find divorce attorneys who will help you with your case. If you’re struggling with how to find a divorce lawyer who can meet your needs, here are some tips to help you during this trying time:
1. Get separate attorneys: All couples going through a divorce should look for separate lawyers rather than having the same one. It can be considered a conflict of interest if your lawyer is also representing your spouse.
2. Prepare for a meeting: Most if not all lawyers will offer an initial consultation, so you can find out whether they are a good fit for your case. Be sure to prepare with questions to ask your divorce lawyer and inquire about documentation you’ll need, fees you’ll have to pay, and how you, your spouse, your shared financial assets, and your children will be affected by the divorce.
3. Ask about expectations: While it’s true that your lawyer can’t predict the future, he or she should be able to give you a good idea of how long the divorce process will take. Your lawyer should also be comfortable with walking you through the process, so you’ll know exactly which stage of the case you’re in at all times.
4. Evaluate your lawyer: When you meet with your lawyer, evaluate him or her based on demeanor. Did he or she answer all of your questions? Does your attorney have previous experience with divorce cases? What were the outcomes of those cases? Your attorney should be available by phone or email or in person whenever you need to speak to him or her, too, so make sure to ask about contact. (And, yes, ask how much that contact will cost.)
5. Follow your attorney’s advice: Once you’ve chosen an attorney, be sure to heed his or her advice concerning your case. It may sound easy to do what you want to do instead, but your divorce attorney should have enough experience in these cases to advise you accordingly. Following his or her advice can expedite the divorce process in some situations.
If you’re still struggling with how to find a divorce lawyer, be sure to ask those you know if they have any suggestions. Choosing the right attorney can make all the difference in the outcome of your case, so it’s important to pick the best lawyer to be on your side. Have questions or suggestions on finding a lawyer? Leave a comment below. Read more blogs like this: www.divorcereality.com